Wednesday, December 02, 2009

The Monopoly Guy Made Me Do This

I'm not to sure what to blog about anymore. No one clicks my ads anymore and I am no longer making blog money, but thats okay. I'm going to trek forward. People that know me will say, "Why am I not surprised he did this to make money." And I'd say back to them "Aw, you know me so well."

Its not completely my fault. Being an only child left me only with my mother to do anything with. That alone might have caused a complete meltdown of normal brain activity, but I'll leave that discussion for another day perhaps. My mother tried her best to keep me occupied, but when watching The Muppets Take Manhattan and The Three Amigos didn't cut it anymore, out came the Monopoly game board.

Monopoly. A real estate oriented game thats main goal is to make money. There was nothing more grand than to have those puke-orange $500 bills stack up. Landing and being able to purchase the Park Place and Boardwalk properties was by far the best moment that could happen in the game. Or worse depending on who's doing the purchasing. Throw in a few Houses and Hotels and those spots become a money hungry valley that meant bankruptcy to the other player(s). Maybe thats what happened to GM and AIG. They landed on a Hotel infested Boardwalk.

I used to annoy my mom when we played. I had recorded the song "Under the Boardwalk" by The Drifters from the radio, onto a tape cassette. The days before mp3s and downloading were tedious weren't they? Well if I ever did get the chance to buy Boardwalk, I'd run to the tape deck and press play. I would have it set up already and my mom knew. She thought it was funny the first time I did it. Not so much after that. I admit it was a bit much to do that, but I was only like 9 years old or something.

I miss playing the game. I heard they have a newer version that includes "VISA" credit cards. That sounds like fun.

3 comments:

  1. Why didn't we play Monopoly when I was around? I LOVE it! It's the cornerstone of my friendship with my Aunt Jen...she would have me stay the night so we could play until 4 in the morning. Ah, I miss so many things. Thanks for making me nostalgic. JERK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw! great memories! i know alllll about recording on cassettes! ahaha and before lyrics were available online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped clicking your ads so that google wouldn't take them away because I click them too much.

    monopoly is really fun, but now that you've made me think about it.. I suppose it's not the best game for children.

    speaking of tape recording songs... my friend alex and I used to pretend we were james bond's sisters and were spies too (we were triple o sevens). well we taped some bond theme music and the music from mission impossible to play during our missions. missions included tumbling out of closets with plastic guns. aaah those were the days.

    ReplyDelete